SmartPay supports several transaction types in which you can create products and initiate transactions:
This is a one-time transaction, most suitable for one-off purchases in any supported currency of products or services.
Initiating a Recurring Payment plan will start billing your customer repeatedly on a pre-defined interval basis, charging the same amount and in the same currency on every billing cycle. This transaction type is most suitable for subscriptions or an on-going renewable service.
Available billing cycles:
- Daily: your customer will be billed at approximately the same hour every day.
- Weekly: your customer will be billed on the same day every week
- Monthly: your customer will be billed on the same date every month
- Yearly: your customer will be billed on the same date of the same month every year
- a grace period means your customer will only begin to be automatically billed after XX amount of days. This is most suitable for offering a "Free Trial" period, after which the customer will start getting billed on a recurring plan basis.
When you define a Recurring Payment product as having a Grace Period, your customer will be presented with the SmartPay billing widget with the recurring amount clearly indicated, but the first billing cycles will not occur immediately but rather be pushed XX amount of days forward.
Please note that in any case you or your customer have cancelled the recurring plan before the Grace Period had ended, your customer will in fact NOT be charged anything. We recommend using our advanced Server-Side-Notifications (SSN) mechanism to confirm successful verification of the customer's credit-card data before allowing him to access your service or products with no actual payment made.
Cancelling a recurring payment plan - to cancel an active recurring payment plan, please use the CancelSubscription API as defined in the Complete API Dictionary.